Bioinformatician – German Cancer Research Center in the Helmholtz Association (DKFZ), Jobs in Bioinformatics, Heidelberg, Germany
Department: Neural Stem Cell Genome Integrity in Brain Development and Diseases
Code number: 2020-0116
The German Cancer Research Center is the largest biomedical research institution in Germany. With approximately 3,000 employees, we operate an extensive scientific program in the field of cancer research.
Neural progenitor cells undergo tens of thousands of cell divisions to generate the 80 billion neurons in a human brain. Mild gene malfunction occurring to a low number of neurons is sufficient to impair the neuron network and lead to brain malfunctions. Our mission is to understand the role of DNA breaks in somatic mosaicism. To this end, we are developing multiple projects to address neuronal cell genome heterogeneity, in vivoDNA break landscape, and fragile site genome biology. Our final goal is to identify disease-driven risk factors that disturb the homeostasis of physiological DNA lesion in the developing brain.
Our specific interest is to uncover sequence-independent factors that cause genome fragility. The available projects are: (1) to use the Machine Learning approach to predict DNA lesion from a broad spectrum of omics datasets, and
(2) to build a mathematical model for large-scale genomic deletion. This position requires intensive collaboration with lab members on a variety of projects, including the initiation of a pediatric brain tumour. The successful candidate will have a substantial amount of discussion with Dr Wei to design research projects.
The technology used in our lab includes but not restricted to whole-genome sequencing, targeted sequencing, Hi-C, 3C- or 4C-based sequencing, nascent and mature RNA-seq, ChIP-seq, ATAC-seq, Repli-Seq, and Okazaki Fragment sequencing.
- Ph.D. degree in bioinformatics or a related scientific discipline (e.g. statistics, computer science, or molecular biotechnology).
- Prior bioinformatics training in transcriptomics, epigenomics, and genomics. Machine learning experience is desired.
- Strong analytical skills, as well as broad experience with multiple scripting languages (python, R, bash, for example), common bioinformatics software and databases are essential.
- Have a basic understanding of biology.
- Proficient in English.
- Collaborative, communicative, ambitious, attention to detail, curiosity-driven, and organized. The ability to work in a multidisciplinary international team will be expected.
- Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, DKFZ enforces strict social distancing rules within the campus. As a result, this position may require a substantial amount of home-office working sessions.
- Interesting, versatile workplace
- International, attractive working environment
- Campus with modern state-of-the-art infrastructure
- Salary according to TV-L including social benefits
- Possibility to work part-time
- Flexible working hours
- Comprehensive further training program
- Access to the DKFZ International Postdoc Program
Earliest possible start date: as soon as possible
Duration: The position is limited to 2 years with the possibility of prolongation.
The position can in principle be part-time.
Application deadline: 16.05.2020
Dr. Pei-Chi Wei
Phone +49 6221/42-3251
Please note that we do not accept applications submitted via email.
The German Cancer Research Center is committed to increase the percentage of female scientists and encourages female applicants to apply. Among candidates of equal aptitude and qualifications, a person with disabilities will be given preference.
To apply for a position please use our online application portal (www.dkfz.de/jobs).
We ask for your understanding that we cannot return application documents that are sent to us by post (Deutsches Krebsforschungszentrum, Personalabteilung, Im Neuenheimer Feld 280, 69120 Heidelberg) and that we do not accept applications submitted via email. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.
Click here to Apply.
Bioinformatician – German Cancer Research Center in the Helmholtz Association (DKFZ)
Keep visiting us for more job opportunities.