Bioinformatics: Courses | Scope & Career options
Students who want to do explore bioinformatics and understand the life of a bioinformatician. They need to start from the base where they should know that bioinformatics is a field where you can build software, or you can develop an instrument to study whole biological information now in order to complete this course.
Bioinformatics is a field of biological information in an interdisciplinary way. It is a merger of many areas, including informatics, mathematics, engineering and statistics. These fields combine to examine biological data and to illustrate them.
This is a biological data study, in other words. This is one of the most rapidly emerging fields in science. The data can be studied with software and methods. It is a biological study aimed at gaining a better understanding of genomics, Unique adjustments and changes to organism genes, particularly agricultural species, to understand genetic diseases.
This field has become a prominent part of biology and biomedical research.
Courses in Bioinformatics
In India, there are several Bachelor and Postgraduate courses. Different universities and institutions offer BScs, MScs and PhD courses in bioinformatics. The following are some of the courses.
Bachelor Degree Courses
- Bachelor of Science (B.Sc) in Bioinformatics
- Bachelor of Technology (B.Tech) in Bioinformatics
- Bachelor in Science – Honors (B.Sc. Hons) in Bioinformatics
- Bachelor of Engineering (B.E) in Bioinformatics
- Certificate in Bioinformatics
- Advanced Diploma in Bioinformatics
Master Degree Courses
- Master of Science (M.Sc) in Bioinformatics
- Master of Technology (M. Tech) in Bioinformatics
- Master of Science – Honors (M. Sc Hons) in Bioinformatics
- Master of Engineering (ME) in Bioinformatics
- Master of Science (MS) in Bioinformatics
Doctoral Degree Course
- PhD in Bioinformatics
Difference between the general degree, honours degree, and technical degree
- The difference in honours degree and general degree is that the honours degree focuses on one major subject while the general degree is a multidisciplinary approach.
- B. Tech and M.Tech is a technical and professional degree while B. Sc. and M. Sc. are the general basic science courses.
- The nature of the B. Tech, M. Tech and BE, ME is the same but the technical degrees are practical courses while engineering degrees are theoretical courses.
Apart from generic Bioinformatics courses, there are many Bioinformatics specializations available for the candidates. It is suggested that candidates should choose a branch or specialization in Bioinformatics program as it provides them with better opportunities and equip them with better skills in a specific domain.
- Information Content in DNA, RNA, Protein Sequence and Structure
- Architecture and Content of Genomes
- Nucleic Acid and Protein Sequence Analysis
- Metabolic Computing
- Data Storage and Retrieval, Database Structures, Annotation
- Complex Systems Analysis or Genetic Circuits
- Evolutionary Model Building and Phylogenetic Analysis
- Data Mining
Eligibility criteria for these courses
The eligibility criteria of admission to Bioinformatics depend on the level of degree courses. Here is a list of eligibility criteria for the candidates:
- 10 + 2 with subjects in science are compulsory for admission to undergraduate courses. The applicant has to have a total ranking of at least 50% with basic physical, chemical and biological knowledge. Few universities have also granted non-medical students, but JEE or other entrance tests will permit them. The admittance process for B.Tech is usually performed by the entry test of the institute or the national entry test. The entrance is done by PMT or an equivalent state / national entrance test for medical students.
- For entry to the postgraduate course, the applicant must have a Bachelor of Engineering (BE) in Computer Sciences, Bachelor of Technology (B.Tech) in Information Technology or Biomedical Engineering or Medicine, Bachelor of Engineering (VE) Philology and Veterinary Science. Eligible for a master’s course in the field of bioinformatical sciences are also the MBBS, BAMS and BHMS candidates. The first entry examinations for graduate students are the GATE, while some institutes perform their separate entry test in order to offer their entry.
- For getting admission in the doctoral program of Bioinformatics, a Master’s degree in Mathematics/Science or Bachelor’s degree in Biotech/Bioinformatics is required. The top entrance exams which are conducted for admission to the course in India are:
- Graduate Aptitude Test in Engineering (GATE)
- Joint Entrance Screening Test (JEST)
- Bioinformatics National Certification Examination (BINC)
- Jawaharlal Nehru Centre for Advanced Scientific Research Entrance Exam (JNCASR)
- CSIR UGC Net exam
Bioinformatics: Courses | Scope & Career options. Keep in touch with us to explore more in Bioinformatics.