DBT – Graduate Aptitude Test in Biotechnology
Applications are now available for the GAT-B 2020 Graduate Aptitude Test.
The GAT-B (The Graduate Aptitude Test in Biotechnology) is the eligibility test for DBT supported PG programs in various institutions, carried out at the Regional Center for Biotechnology on behalf of the Department of Biotechnology in the Government of India.
The test is an eligibility examination for admission in participating Indian institutions to DBT-supported biotechnology PG programmes: M.Sc. Biotechnology, M.Sc. Agricultural Biotechnology, M.V.Sc., M.Tech. Biotechnology, M.Sc. Allied areas.
Courses Covered under GAT-B
- M.Sc: (Molecular and Human Genetics, Bioinformatics, Bioresources Biotechnology, Molecular, and Human Genetics, Marine Biotechnology Medical Biotechnology)
- M.Tech: (Computational Biology, Pharmaceutical Biotechnology, Food Biotechnology, Bioprocess Technology, Biotechnology & Biochemical Engineering, Marine Biotechnology, Biotechnology with specialization in Industrial Biotechnology).
To view the list of participating institutions under GAT-B, click here.
The examination will be conducted in a single shift for a duration of 180 minutes. The question paper will have two parts:
- Part A: Part A will have 60 compulsory multiple-choice questions of the level of 10+2 in the subjects: Physics, Chemistry, Mathematics, and Biology. Each correct answer will be of one mark each. There will be negative marking and for each wrong answer, ½ (half) mark will be deducted.
- Part B: Part B will have multiple choice questions of bachelor’s level requiring thinking and analysis. There will be questions from basic Biology, Life Sciences, Biotechnology, and allied areas as per the syllabus attached. There will be 100 questions out of which the candidates will have to attempt 60 questions. Each correct answer will have a weightage of 3 marks. There will be negative marking and for each wrong answer, one mark will be deducted.
To appear for the examination, candidates need to possess one of the following:
- B.E/ B.Tech. degree with minimum 50% Marks(45 % in case of candidates belonging to reserved category) in the qualifying examination in any branch of Engineering and Technology OR,
- B.Sc. Biotechnology/ Genetics/Microbiology/ Biochemistry with Chemistry and Zoology as other optional subjects with following percentage of marks: General category: 55%; OBC: 50%; SC, ST & PWD: 40% OR,
- Bachelor’s degree in Biological, Physical, Agricultural, Veterinary and Fisheries Sciences, Pharmacy, Engineering/Technology 4 Years B.Sc. (Physician Assistant Course), M.B.B.S. or B.D.S, with at least 55% marks.
All students admitted under the DBT-supported programs of any participating institution will be paid the stipend as under:
- M.Sc. in Biotechnology & Allied Areas: Rs. 5000/- per month
- M.Sc. in Agricultural Biotechnology: Rs. 7500/- per month
- M.Tech./ M.V.Sc. programs: Rs. 12000/- per month
The continuation of stipend for the second year of the program is subject to satisfactory progress of the student, to be certified by the participating institutions.
How to Apply?
Interested candidates can apply online by clicking here.
This examination is to rank the eligibility of the candidate among all applicants. The candidates will be given a GAT-B rank based on which they may apply to the various DBT-supported PG programs in participating institutions. The participating institutions will advertise and admit students as per their admission & selection process.
- Last Date for Registration: June 18, 2020
- Issue of Admit Card: June 25, 2020
- GAT-B Exam: June 30, 2020
- Display of Question Paper and Answer Key: July 2, 2020
- Declaration of GAT-B rank of Candidates: July 20, 2020
Email ID: [email protected]
For further details, click here.
Please be smart enough to check other sources too though we ensure the information is accurate but there are always chances of some human errors.
DBT – Graduate Aptitude Test Biotechnology