Scientist II / Senior Scientist I – In Vivo Antibody Discovery
AbbVie’s mission is to discover and deliver innovative medicines that solve serious health issues today and address the medical challenges of tomorrow. We strive to have a remarkable impact on people’s lives across several key therapeutic areas: immunology, oncology, neuroscience, eye care, virology, women’s health and gastroenterology, in addition to products and services across its Allergan Aesthetics portfolio. For more information about AbbVie, please visit us at www.abbvie.com. Follow @abbvie on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, YouTube and LinkedIn.
The Biologics Generation Group within Global Biologics is seeking a highly motivated research scientist to join the in vivo antibody discovery team at AbbVie Bioresearch Center (ABC). The ABC site, based in Worcester, MA, offers a unique setting where Biologics drug discovery, development and manufacturing coexist in one location. Our team interacts with multidisciplinary groups across AbbVie focused on developing therapies for Immunology, Neurology, Oncology and Virology. We utilize innovative immunization approaches, advanced multiplex screening assays and best-in-class automation platforms to enable successful antibody discovery against complex targets.
We are seeking an accomplished scientist who will make substantial contributions to the conception, execution and communication of antibody discovery strategies against pathogenic viruses. A primary responsibility of the successful candidate will be to develop and execute research strategies to enable the discovery and development of therapeutic antibodies against pathogenic viruses. Main responsibilities will include the design and execution of in vivo lead antibody identification/optimization and collaborating to generate stage-gate appropriate in vitro / cellular / in vivo data packages supporting proof-of-concept. The candidate will leverage expertise to develop and implement research to gain a mechanistic understanding of the molecular pharmacology of therapeutic molecules. The successful candidate will be responsible for driving antibody discovery programs within a multidisciplinary research group in an exciting, fast-paced team environment.
- PhD or equivalent in immunology or virology fields; BS & 10+ years of experience; MS & 8+ years of experience.
- Knowledge of molecular biology, immunology and virology concepts
- Experience with aseptic mammalian cell culture
- Experience in viral neutralization assays and immunoassays (flow cytometry, ELISA, homogeneous assays and microscopy
- Strong attention to quality and details when exercising organizational, documentation and communication skills
- Proven flexibility to deal with changing timelines and shifting work priorities
- Competency with software programs, including MS Excel, PowerPoint, Word
- Experience with handling human blood samples
- Experience with microfluidics and single cell analysis and advanced automation platforms
- Molecular biology techniques including molecular cloning
- Animal handling experience (e.g. restraint, immunizations, tissue harvesting etc.)
Key AbbVie Competencies:
- Builds strong relationships with peers and cross functionally with partners outside of the team to enable higher performance.
- Learns fast, grasps the “essence” and can change the course quickly where indicated.
- Raises the bar and is never satisfied with the status quo.
- Creates a learning environment, open to suggestions and experimentation for improvement.
- Embraces the ideas of others, nurtures innovation and manages innovation to reality.
To apply for this job please visit careers.abbvie.com.