Ph.D. opportunity for bioinformatics & Computer Science, An exciting opportunity for a fully-funded Ph.D. program.
Centre / Institution: Barcelona Supercomputing Center
Bioinformatics expertise: Bioinformatics of Disease and Treatment
The Barcelona Supercomputing Center (BSC-CNS) is the leading supercomputing center in Spain. It houses MareNostrum, one of Europe’s most powerful supercomputers, and is a hoster of the European supercomputing distribution infrastructure, PRACE.
The mission of BSC is to study, build and manage IT to encourage scientific advancement. BSC incorporates HPC services and R&D with computer science as well as computer science (life, earth, and engineering sciences) with over 650 employees from 49 countries.
Context And Mission
Prof. Natasa Przulj is searching for an EU Horizon 2020 TranSYS Innovative Training Networks (ITN) project Ph.D. student in Bioinformatics and Computer Science. The doctoral student will focus on development and the use of biomedical data and problems of new network technology and machine learning algorithms.
The new algorithms are developed to help in the identification and personalization of drugs (precision medicine), using them to analyze broad molecular and patient data.
The successful candidates will work on the ITN TranSys EU grant described at https://h2020transys.eu/transys-recruitment-2nd-call/, which offers a competitive salary and compensation package to the successful candidate. When applying for this post, please select Early Stage Researcher 9, ESR 9, at https://h2020transys.eu/2nd-call/.
In the Computer Science Ph.D., the successful candidate must develop and implement sophisticated machine learning and science models and algorithms in the network. The algorithms are carefully tailored to extract relevant biological and medical knowledge from real-world molecular and medical data at the system level.
It seeks to understand the data structure which would allow the data to be taken for a new biological and medical insight which would further improve diagnosis, detect new biomarkers, improve the stratification and treatment of patients, personalize treatment and make it easier to develop rationally.
A diverse research group of Prof. Przolj within the BSC, with 8 doctoral and two post-doctoral students, will follow the successful candidate. The doctoral student will work in a highly sophisticated HPC environment and will have access to systems and computer infrastructure and will work with experts in various fields through the TranSYS ITN consortium.
ITN, coordinated with K. TranSYS In the new field of systems safety, Van Steen (KU Leuven) will employ a total of 15 ESR’s for highly qualified workplaces, develop tools and strategies for the utilization of detailed and complicated datasets, and advance precision (individual) medicine in several areas of diseases.
Traditional data and bio-science silos can be crossed by the training program and the experience of different international fields. Translational research will promote new collaborations between academics and the pharmaceutical and health analytics industries.
Our ESR ventures will advance state-of-the-art biomarker discovery, improve understanding of the molecular mechanism for disease and targeted identifying and managing biomarkers (including warehousing, disease-specific and structured methods for data processing, visualization, modeling). This European ITN (Innovative Training Network) will internationalize participants, and leverage EC (European Commission) and industry sponsorship, to structure and expand the unique training program and advance emerging research areas, combining wet-lab, clinical and Big Data resources with computational and modeling know-how.
DESIRED SKILLS AND EXPERTISE
- Complete a Ph.D. in computational biology
- Collaborate with various research groups across Europe and elsewhere
- MSc in Computer Science, Mathematics, Physics, Bioinformatics, or a related field
- BSc in Computer Science is preferred
Essential Knowledge and Professional Experience
- Good technical skills including at least some of the following: algorithms, data analysis, graph, network and complexity theory, scientific computing, statistics, machine learning, programming in C, C++, a scripting language and Matlab, using a parallel computing environment, bioinformatics, network biology, network medicine, network analytics, medical informatics
- Fluency in spoken and written English
- Fluency in spoken and written English
CONTRACT DURATION AND OTHER BENEFITS
- The position will be located at BSC within the Life Sciences Department
- We offer a full-time contract, a good working environment, a highly stimulating environment with state-of-the-art infrastructure, flexible working hours, extensive training plan, tickets restaurant, private health insurance, fully support to the relocation procedures
- Salary: we offer a competitive salary commensurate with the qualifications and experience of the candidate and according to the cost of living in Barcelona
- Starting date: Approximately May
REQUIRED INFORMATION AND CONTACT
In order to apply to the project ESR9, you must:
- Follow this link (it will give you more information about the project, key time, and general procedure): https://h2020transys.eu/transys-recruitment-2nd-call/
- Click on Apply Here.
- Complete all the fields, and select as first choice “ESR9: Patient-centric data integration framework for highly dimensional data Host: BARCELONA SUPERCOMPUTING CENTER (SPAIN) Ph.D. awarding institution: UNIVERSITAT DE BARCELONA Lead Supervisor: N Pržulj”
- Upload your CV, a motivation letter, and additional documents if available.
The vacancy will remain open until a suitable candidate has been hired. Applications will be regularly reviewed and potential candidates will be contacted.
Diversity and Equal Opportunity Employment
BSC-CNS is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity and inclusion. We are pleased to consider all qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability or any other basis protected by applicable state or local law.
Ph.D. opportunity for Bioinformatics & Computer Science – for more career options keep visiting our careers page.