Scientist / Senior Scientist bioinformatics Job in Mountain View, CA, USA
About the Company
DNAnexus® has built the world’s most secure cloud platform and global network for scientific collaboration and accelerated discovery. We embrace challenges and partnerships to tackle the world’s most exciting opportunities across a spectrum of industries – biopharmaceutical, bio agricultural, sequencing services, clinical diagnostics, medical centers, government, and research consortia.
As a scientist at DNAnexus, you will have the opportunity to design, implement, optimize, and manage bioinformatics workflows – enabling the scientific community to do large-scale genomics analysis and research in the cloud.
You will work closely with other scientists to explore cutting-edge genomics problems and will partner with high impact genomics research groups such as ENCODE, PrecisionFDA, the Genome in a Bottle Consortium, and the Vertebrate Genome Project. You will also have the opportunity to work closely with scientists at the world’s top healthcare providers, pharmaceutical companies, and clinical diagnostic labs.
The ideal candidate is a bioinformatician / computational biologist with a robust background in implementing bioinformatics tools and software development. She/he will have an extremely strong background in genomics and other -omics data analysis including quality assessment and processing of sequencing data as well as interpretation of results.
- Design, implement and productize bioinformatics tools on the DNAnexus platform.
- Write clear and concise documentation for newly developed tools.
- Ensure that DNAnexus stays at the vanguard of the bioinformatics field by researching and testing the latest bioinformatics methods.
- Use your expertise in effective experimental design to construct benchmarking frameworks to compare a variety of bioinformatics toolsets.
- Leverage your skills in software architecture and design to collaboratively resolve complex bioinformatics and infrastructure issues.
- Develop and qualify tools in a GxP compliant environment.
- Work both independently and collaboratively with cross-functional team members in the product and engineering teams to shape the product roadmap.
- Write blog posts, give seminars, and submit papers to top journals or conferences in genomics, bioinformatics, and biotechnology fields.
Qualifications / Experience / Requirements
- BS, MS, or Ph.D. in bioinformatics, computational biology, computer science or related biotechnology field with a computational emphasis; interdisciplinary exposure preferred.
- 3+ years of experience in bioinformatics, biostatistics, genomics, or statistical genetics, in either academic or industrial settings.
- Strong programming experience in Python (pandas and NumPy is a plus). Proficient in Bash scripting in Linux/Unix environment.
- Extensive hands-on experience in performing genomics sequence analysis using popular tools such as SAMtools, BWA, STAR, and GATK.
- Strong communication skills. Should have experience in product documentation as well as presenting bioinformatics ideas and concepts to scientific audiences.
- Self-motivated and detail-oriented with excellent analytical and problem-solving skills in a fast-paced environment.
- Experience working collaboratively with bioinformaticians and a desire to work in a cross-functional team.
- Strong verbal communication and presentation skills.
- Experience with bioinformatics workflow languages such as WDL and CWL. Familiarity with Docker is highly desired.
- Experience working directly with partners in the life sciences industry is a strong plus.
- The history of contributions to open-source bioinformatics tools is a strong plus.
Based in San Francisco and Mountain View, California, DNAnexus is experiencing rapid growth and is searching for the best talent to join our team. Key investors include Google Ventures, TPG Biotech, Foresite Capital, and Wuxi NextCODE.
If you are interested in joining the team, please apply today!
Stay connected to get future updated 🙂